What is Sensitive Choice®?
In Hong Kong:
- There are more than 330,000 people who have asthma, with approximately 10% of children and 5% of adults experiencing symptoms of the condition.
- 3.2 million Hong Kong people suffer from different degrees of allergies, and 1 in 3 children has at least 1 type of allergy.
- Eczema affects 1 in 5 individuals.
The National Asthma Council Australia created the Sensitive Choice® program in 2006 to better educate people on how to manage asthma and allergies and empower consumers to identify asthma and allergy-aware and eco-friendly products and services, through the trusted blue butterfly. You can find the reassuring blue butterfly on hundreds of products, from bedding to building products, cleaning agents to carpets, air purifiers to vacuum cleaners, and even the paint you put on your walls. This product approval scheme is co-run by the National Asthma Council Australia and The Asthma & Respiratory Association NZ.
Sensitive Choice® is globally trademarked in over 60 countries, so people with asthma and allergies can look out for the reassuring blue butterfly around the world.
Why is Sensitive Choice® credible?
Products and services that earn and carry the Sensitive Choice® blue butterfly have been reviewed and approved by an independent expert Product Advisory Panel that determines their potential benefit to people with asthma and allergies.
Panel members can include:
- An allergist
- A chemist
- An engineer
- A general practitioner
- A pharmacist
- An epidemiologist
- A respiratory physician
Application and approval process
Through a formal application process, applicants must:
- Complete the application form and supply as much credible evidence as possible to substantiate asthma/allergy benefits or claims.
- Provide samples of each product (where requested).
- Provide a full list of ingredients for all products containing chemicals.
- Demonstrate full compliance with all relevant Australian or New Zealand laws, regulations, and applicable standards.
- The Panel reviews evidence to determine that a product or service is not harmful and demonstrates a potential benefit for people with asthma or allergies, before making a recommendation.
Why do we (ecostore) participate in the Sensitive Choice® program?
We use natural essential oils in most ecostore products because they smell beautiful, and they’re more sustainable than synthetic fragrances. But even natural scents can cause an allergic reaction in very sensitive people. So, we created this range to be both gentle and fragrance-free. The complete Ultra Sensitive range is endorsed by the Sensitive Choice® programme. Our most popular products are dermatologically tested and proven to be a better choice for people with sensitivities.
Made from the mildest plant-based ingredients, our Ultra Sensitive range is formulated to be gentle, yet effective all around the house and for every member of your household.
More information: some commonly asked questions
Q1: Can I use the Ultra Sensitive range of products on my baby?
The Ultra Sensitive laundry liquid, laundry powder, and fabric softener are perfect to use with baby clothes and linen. We also recommend Ultra Sensitive bar soap and body lotion for babies. In addition, we have our lightly scented baby care range that has been dermatologically tested for sensitive skin.
Q2: Can I use these products if I am pregnant?
Yes, the Ultra Sensitive range is safe to be used on pregnant women.
Q3: Do the Ultra Sensitive products work as well as the other products?
Yes, Ultra Sensitive products work just as well. All our products are formulated to be as mild on the skin as possible. With the Ultra Sensitive range, we have omitted the addition of fragrances to minimise the potential for irritation and allergic reactions.
Q4: What does ‘No Colourants’ mean?
There are no dyes or colourants added to the product. These can sometimes be irritating to the skin.
Q5: The products have an unusual base odour, what is this?
We use ingredients derived from plants and minerals – they can retain some base scent which can be noticed especially when no fragrance is present.